Observations from Last Week:
- Pitt took care of business against Va Tech. The Panthers have taken to calling themselves running back U. Given the number of backs they have produced in the last 25 years, I can understand the marketing. However, USC is still the number one seed in that category.
- As I noted last week, enough of the Kentucky hype. The Vols routed the Wildcats to end any discussion of Kentucky in a New Year’s Day bowl.
- Roll Damn Tide – exactly
- It was a shame that Boston College lost their starting QB in their game against Clemson. Had their offense been a bit better, I think the Eagles would have had a chance against the Tigers.
Not great games this week:
- Syracuse at ND in NYC. Ugh, not much college atmosphere up there. At least Game Day went to Orlando for…
- Cincinnati at UCF is an appealing game – That UCF could go 22-0 including a New Year’s Bowl game with over Auburn, and not make the playoffs only emphasizes the need for the playoffs to be expanded to eight
- Cream puffs for SEC stalwarts ‘Bama (Citadel), Georgia (Umass) and Auburn (Liberty). I would throw in A&M, but UAB is 9-1.
- Upset alert: On paper it would seem that Kansas would have no chance at beating OU, but the Sooner defense is so bad, anything is possible.
As for me, I will be staying home this weekend. I had tentatively planned on going to SMU for their Friday night game with Memphis. Despite this game having the potential of being a good one, I could not get anyone to join me in Dallas. I have had SMU on the schedule three years in a row but I always find a reason to cancel. Next year, Mustangs, there’s always next year.
And that review for Louisiana Monroe is coming soon – it is not all bad, but it is not all good either.
Enjoy the games this weekend,