Another double weekend is in the cards this week with an early start. Thursday, I head to Provo to see BYU host Utah State. Friday brings a day of rest and then it is on to the main course, Oregon State visiting Utah for Saturday.
I have hardly had a chance to catch my breath from the excitement in Lubbock where the Red Raiders upset the Longhorns. The game was so good I had little regret that I had bet on Texas. I was surprised to see that Wake Forest played Clemson to OT. My only regret is that since I lost the bet, I would have preferred that Wake Forest won outright. Florida and Wyoming both managed to cover, salvaging my week at 2 -2.
Other random thoughts for the week:
- What a performance by Adrian Martinez, the QB of Kansas State against Oklahoma. He had flashes at Nebraska, but he was consistently stellar on Saturday
- Rock chalk Jayhawk, at 4-0 Kansas is the feel good story of the season
- Some not so feel good stories – Arkansas let a win slip away against A&M, but the big loser was Mizzou who fumbled away their win at Auburn’s goal line in OT.
- Colorado State has lost again, badly, to FCS stalwart Sacramento State. However, with the likes of Hawaii and Utah State on the schedule, hope springs eternal.
I open my picks with Utah State at BYU. The Aggies are in a woeful state so much so that I can’t even justify an emotional hedge. With a point spread of 24.5, they could cover and it would still be a blowout. My hedge would be wasted. Even at 3-1, I recognize that Indiana isn’t a dominant team, but surely they deserve to be a favorite against Nebraska. My second game of the weekend should a great one. I like to root for the home team, but I also know the Beavers are pretty good this year. I am not saying they will win, but I think they can cover against the Utes. My last pick is to go with the WSU Cougars over the Cal Bears. Although they have the same record, the Coogs have a better resume in my mind.
Other random thoughts on this week’s slate:
- I don’t always agree with the ESPN Game Day selection, but the NC State vs. Clemson game could very well be the game of the week. It will be interesting to see if the Wolfpack defense can stand up to the Tigers.
- UCLA has quietly gone 4-0 and so have the U of W. Huskies. If anything, this game will help to see if either one is a fraud.
- A likewise game is set up with OU and TCU. My gut says OU gets the win.
- Honestly, while there are not too many classic matchups this weekend, it is a slate full of good games. The only one that looks bad is an 0-4 FCS Wagner coming to play 4-0 Syracuse. That game is going to be ugly.
That’s all I got. Enjoy the games.