The week started off great thanks to the South Alabama Jags. While they did lose the game against Georgia Southern, they still covered. It was also a very entertaining game to see live. South Alabama’s going to get a good review. Friday night was not nearly as satisfying as UCF lost to the Bearcats of Cincinnati. The Knights are dead to me and the New Year’s Day bowl selection committees. Saturday was a mixed bag. I really thought Troy was going to score enough against Mizzou to cover, but it was another loss. My UAB experience was dismal but at least the Blazers put it together enough in the second half to cover against Rice in the rain. It was about the only redeeming feature of my UAB experience. So once again, average reigns supreme at somanystadiums, where I went 2 -2 for the week.
Other observations on last week.
- Big win by Florida, looking to the LSU game to provide some clarity in the top 10.
- SMU wins in triple OT. Definitely trying to find a way to get to Ford Field this year.
- Some good looking teams in the Big 10: Penn State, Ohio State and Wisconsin all dominate. And don’t forget Minnesota at 5 – 0 ?!?
- Gotta give San Jose State some love. They win again to go 3 – 2 even it was against New Mexico
- Oklahoma State just doesn’t seem to like success. Just when they crack the top 25, they get upset by Texas Tech
- The ACC is a mess. Pitt beats Duke and Hokies upset the ‘Canes in Miami. Just nuts.
- Whew: Michigan, Nebraska both escaped with close wins.
- What, still undefeated? Baylor, Boise State, Memphis all still trucking.
I didn’t like the options for Thursday night, but I have to pick someone. I am going with the Bobcats of Texas State to cover at home against the ULL Warhawks. Friday night, it is an emotional hedge. I’d prefer a good game since I will be seeing it live in Eugene, but if it is a blowout, at least I get the win. Saturday is the same as I go with the Beavers to keep it close at home against the Utes. My other pick is Texas. I figure the Longhorns to keep it close in the Red River Shootout.
Other observations for Week 7:
- I don’t think the Cavaliers will sneak up on the ‘Canes like the Hokies did. However, I don’t think it will matter either. Virginia wins.
- Undefeated Memphis heads to one-loss Temple. I am pulling for the Owls because that will set up a great game against SMU the next week.
- I would like to see Texas A&M give Alabama a good game, but that doesn’t mean I think that will happen
- First real for Penn State as they visit Iowa. Some of the luster is gone after the Wolverines beat the Hawkeyes last week.
- So how many times do you think ESPN will show an alligator grilling at a LSU tailgate. The answer is too many. I like the Tigers in this one.
- Lastly, UNLV at Vanderbilt tickets going as low as $2, so if you are in Nashville this weekend…