Not a bad week, last week as I went 3 -1. Almost a sweep, but Hawaii let me down big time.
- The Bruins just rolled over them. When I saw this game, I was all UCLA but damn Facebook flashed pictures of our trip to Hawaii a couple of years ago and nostalgia took over.
- Do you think Randy Edsell regrets leaving UConn the first time? Probably not because he got paid, but, boy, the Huskies are bad.
- Nebraska losing to Illinois was the pick I was most confident of this weekend because their coach Nick Frost just seems out of his element. The post game comments that they lost half their offense when Illinois defense lined up pretty much backs that up.
- UTEP beating New Mexico was a little more than a guess. I had it in the back of my mind that the Miners had improved. I think the couple of times I saw them they were nothing if not competitive. I recall a down to the wire game with La Tech a few years ago that seriously cut into my Monroe-Funroe trip.
The first week is already hard to pick, but none more so than this year. Between COVID, portal transfers and generally just a lot of churn, it is really hard to figure out who has what.
With that disclaimer, it is on to the real Week 1.
- OSU covering Minnesota -14.This is an emotional hedge for sure. I would love to see the Gophers keep this close so the game is a good time. I doubt they have the horsepower to hang with the Buckeyes for four quarters, but it would be nice.
- Hokies getting five against the Tarheels. North Carolina is on a lot of dark horse lists this year. Coming into Lane Stadium for a night game is never easy and this is the kind game the Hokies tend to win. No emotional hedge here, I am taking the Hokies and the 5.5 points they are getting.
- Going with PSU at Wisconsin is another emotional hedge. I am taking the Lions and the 5.5 points. Again, if the Badgers win, it just means a good time in Madison.
- For my last pick, I am going local and taking the Aggies to handle Kent State. it seems like the MAC isn’t quite the conference it used to be. Too much Texas heat and too much travel spells doom for the Golden Flashes.
Some other random observations:
- How bad is Syracuse have to be basically a pick ’em against Ohio. That’s the Bobcats not the Buckeyes btw.
- It feels like Army should beat Georgia State. The Black Knights have seen a bit of resurgence the last couple of years so an upset would not be surprising.
- Cupcake of the week: TCU hosting Duquesne. Anytime a school is playing a team that yours truly played against, it raises an eyebrow. To be fair, the Dukes are a far cry away from the D3 team I played against. They are now an FCS power so maybe I should give the Horned Frogs kudos for scheduling. But really, it is tough enough for Kent State to come down and play in Texas. TCU should roll in this one.
That’s all I got, see you in the cheap seats.