How about them Aggies? What a great game to watch between LSU and Texas A&M. Rivalry week delivered in spades last weekend. It seemed every other game was a close one last week. The combination of my five TVs, four Roku’s, Xfinity and my digital antennae combined with the WatchESPN and Fox Sports App made for great channel hopping.
Virginia Tech’s defeat of Virginia was a classic example of the high drama that occurred last week. It should have been curtains when their QB threw a pick with less than four minutes to go deep in their own territory. UVA could neither punch the ball in nor run out the clock. A Cavalier chip shot field goal left the Hokies just enough time to drive the length of the field to score the tying touchdown with just seconds left. While the Hokie drive on the field slowly died, their prepubescent kicker was clearly doing everything possible to not launch his pre-game meal on the sidelines. He composed himself enough to kick a field goal. Virginia quickly threw a fifteen yard slant and it looked like a touchdown was a forgone conclusion. However, in classic nod to their current fifteen game losing streak to the Hokies, Virginia promptly fumbled the ball and their apparent victory away.
As mentioned, plenty of other games provided high drama. Particularly the back and forth game at Kyle Field. The Aggies are a resilient bunch for sure. It was another team I counted out but they just kept coming on Saturday night. Jimbo has them moving in the right direction.
The next pressing question is whether championship week viewing will be as rewarding. Here’s my take on the big games this week:
- PAC 12: On Friday night: Washington versus Utah. Credit to the Huskies for finding their way back to the championship, but no playoff impact here. If it weren’t on a Friday night, not sure I would even give it a glance
- Big 12: This is a noon kickoff? Not much respect for this game from the ratings gods. My money is that the Sooners get revenge for the Red River Shoot Out loss earlier this season.
- SEC: Alabama versus George: Unless there is a SEC conspiracy to have the Tide throw the game and force the committee put into two SECs teams in the playoff, Bama wins this one going away. (Yes, Bama is in win or lose – Figure skating anyone?)
- Big 10: Ohio State versus Northwestern: No surprises here. Buckeyes roll over the Wildcats
- ACC: Clemson versus Pitt: Ditto here. The Tigers defensive line will be too much for Pitt, who’s running game just won’t get started.
- AAC: Memphis versus UCF. This game became a lot more interesting since UCF lost their stud QB, McKenzie Milton, to injury. This one might be worth watching.
- Conference USA: UAB versus Middle Tenn State. Hard not to root for the Blazers in this one. The UAB program has literally risen from the dead. This should be a game worth watching
- MAC: Buffalo versus NIU. Buffalo adds a championship to an already successful season
- Mountain West: Fresno State versus Boise State. Boise has already beaten Fresno State once this year. Tough night for Victory and Fresno State on the blue turf. Boise gets the win.
- Sunbelt: Louisiana Lafayette versus App State. The Rock will be rocking in Boone, N.C., which spells bad news for the Ragin Cajuns. I like App State in this one.
That’s all I got this week. Enjoy.