Rivalry Week was a decent week, highlighted or low-lighted, depending on your perspective, by the Auburn – Alabama game. Here are my thoughts for week 15.
- The definition of mailing it in. Akron loses to Ohio by 49 to finish 0-12. There’s no Zip in those Roos.
- Contrast that with the Rice Owls who hung in there to win their final three games after starting 0-9. The definition of hanging in there.
- Although truly a bonehead move that cost them a tie, I did chuckle when the Ole Miss receiver pantomimed the dog peeing after scoring the late TD against the rival Mississippi State Bulldogs.
- Congrats to the Hoos for snapping their 15 game streak against the Hokies. Quite frankly, Virginia should have won the game last year. No shame to the Hokies either. A really remarkable second half of the season for Virginia Tech after a dismal start to the season.
- I did a double take watching the San Jose State game. I had sat in the bleachers that they tore them out this year. That move was long overdue.
- I can’t believe that Iowa couldn’t beat Nebraska by more than five. It was an absolute dagger on my picks.
- I didn’t realize Cincinnati was not playing with their normal starting QB against Memphis, but the Bearcats did me a solid with the ten point loss.
- Really, did anyone outside of Michigan, think the Wolverines had a chance beating the Buckeyes? Harbaugh goes to 0-5 against The Ohio State University.
- So Alabama did get jobbed on that 1st half Auburn field goal, but the botch on the 12 men on the field penalty was all on the Crimson Tide’s coaching staff.
- It was a nice run for the Gophers, but it ended where you thought it would.
As disappointing as Iowa not covering, it was Texas A&M not even showing up for their game against LSU, that really frosted me. Embarrassing Jimbo. Just embarrassing. Thankfully, Hawaii took care of business against Army, allowing me to finish 2 -2. My final year total was 32 – 24, not awesome but not too bad either. I will make my bowl game picks next week. I typically come in slightly over 500 on those games. From players sitting out to teams treating the game like a holiday, there’s too many factors in play with bowl games to do much better than that.
Here are my thoughts on this weekend’s games:
- Utah vs Oregon: I saw both these teams win in blowouts, but I like the Utes in this one. I am sure the rest of the PAC-10 feels the same way because a Utah win is the only way the PAC-10 gets a team in the playoff.
- Baylor at Oklahoma: My head says Sooners, but my heart is pulling for the Bears.
- Louisiana Lafayette vs Appalachian St.: This should be a great game to watch. If I still lived in Virginia, I’d be sorely tempted to drive to Boone to see that game.
- Miami (OH) at Central Michigan: Probably worst game on the slate. This was a down year for the MAC and I have no idea who will win this one.
- UAB at FAU: I am going for FAU. I still can’t shake the crappy experience I had at UAB this year.
- Georgia at LSU: Worst scenario is that Georgia beats LSU in a really close game. I would bet the Committee put them both in the playoff in that case.
- Hawaii at Boise State: If this game were in Oahu, I’d say the Rainbows in an upset. However, on the blue turf, I am going with the Broncos of Boise State.
- Virginia at Clemson: All Clemson here.
- Wisconsin at Ohio State: All Ohio State here
That’s all I got. Enjoy the games this week.